Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mt. Kenya - By the hands of God and Richard

Last week we climbed Mt. Kenya, base to summit. Our adventure began when we left Nairobi for a 3 hour car ride out to the mountain. Our drive took us through the capital city. It was hard to believe that this was their "Washington, D.C.". After driving through the construction of the city and passing many large farms and a few open markets we finally reached Nanyuko, Kenya (the town that we would leave from to drive to the base of the mountain). There we met with our guides who brought us to the mountain where we began our climb. Benson, our cook, Richard, our guide and our 4 porters led the way. While Benson and the 4 porters hurried up the mountain before us with all our gear and cooking tools to the first camp, Richard took his time with us as we "pole, pole" made our way up the mountain. "Pole, pole" is a phrase in Kiswahili which means "slowly by slowly". This phrase became our mantra for our journey. Slowly by slowly we made our way to the first camp, Old Moses. There we had an amazing meal and spent our first night. The next morning we woke up around 5:45am to begin the second leg our our hike. We hiked 16 kilometers (6 of which were through rain) to our next location, Shipton Camp at the base of the summit. That night was difficult. We were all very cold, wet and exhausted from the days hike. We doubted that we would even be able to climb the next day. However, we were there for each other and at 3am the next day all four of us, Tommy, Katie, Kevin and myself set out for the summit. About half way up, I felt that I couldn't go any further. My breaths were short and I was physically exhausted. I asked Richard if he thought I could go on or if he thought it best for me to go back down the mountain. He said that I needed more water and to do what I thought because I knew how I was feeling. He also said he believed I could do it "pole, pole". Richard believed in me when I stopped believing in myself. I was praying and repeating the words of the Little Engine that Could but even that did not seem to be enough. I needed the encouragement of someone else. I needed someone else to believe in me when I did not have to confidence myself. Richard took my hand and walked me up to the summit "pole, pole". We made our own pace as the rest of the group went on with another guide. Richard held my hand the rest of the way as we both climbed to the summit. We reached the summit at sunrise and saw the day began in Kenya from its highest point. I was so proud of myself and even more greatful to Richard for all his guidance. The climb was a test of my faith, trust and ability to surrender. I had to surrender over to God and let Him and Richard guide me to the top. I was so overcome with emotion and gratitude that I wept on the summit! It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen (and one of the hardest I have ever had to work for)! When I climbed back down and reflected upon what I had done I was stunned to think that this journey had yet to begin. It would now be my turn, for the next five weeks, to "take the hands" of the children at Our Lady of Grace, like Richard did for me. I hope to remind them that they can do it! That they should believe in themselves and that if they dream it, it is achievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment