Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Details, Details, Details


JAMBO! and thank you to all of you that are following my blog! I will try and keep it as updated as my schedule allows and be descriptive! I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures and how you can leave comments....if you know, help me out please!!

Aunt Laur - to elaborate on the delicious food!! We have been enjoying some awesome Kenya grub these past 10 days! We eat UGALI almost every day. It is a staple Kenyan dish and is very similar to thickened grits. It is similar to the consistency of thick mashed potatoes and is made from maize flour and water. It doesn't have much flavor but is eaten with other food to give it flavor. Kenyans do not typically use utensils to eat with but instead form three fingers around the ugali and make a "thumb print" in the middle where they push in the other contents of their plate making perfect flavorful bites! We also have SCUMAWIKI every day (some times for lunch and dinner). It is dish of sauted or braised kale or spinach (or both!) with onions and garlic. It is my favorite! Goes really well with the ugali. We have also had lots of stewed meats. Super flavorful! Twice now we have been served eggs scrambled with stewed tomatoes and peppers. It is a saltier dish but still really good. Rice is also common and we almost always have fruit for dessert! Pineapple or mango typically. I will try and post pictures of meals when I figure out how to do that! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment