Wednesday, June 22, 2011

First Days at Our Lady of Grace

We have arrived at the school!! Being greeted by Fr. Chris and Anna, our new friend from Dartmouth, at the Kisumu airport was a very warm welcome to this amazing place. Our Lady of Grace and all affiliated with it have welcomed us with open arms. The Dominicans had us over for a delicious meal our first night consisting of ugali (similar to Kenya polenta or stiff grits), beef stew and lots of fruit for dessert. We began our next day as we will begin all of them here at the school, with rosary at 6:10am followed by mass at 6:30am. Following mass we toured the grounds and got to know those we would be working with.  The children were a bit timid around us the first day but have since warmed right up to us. Hand shakes are very important in Kenya and are a sign or peace and respect. The children love to give and receive them. Our second day at the school has been a bit more productive in the sense of getting things accomplished. We have begun our schedules, teaching classes and working on promotional information. Today I taught handwriting to the 4th grade class. We worked on our alphabet in print and in cursive. After class, I helped Kevin teach the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade how to play kickball. They took to the game like fish to water and are all natural athletes. I was also able to spend a lot of one on one time with different kids today which I really enjoyed. I spoke to a few girls who are in their senior year of high school about what they want to do after they matriculate. One wants to be a special needs teacher to the deaf and blind, another wants to be a surgeon and the third wants to be a science and math teacher. The girls are taking their national exams later this year to see if they can qualify to get government subsidies to study at university. These days have left much time for reflection and my mind races with all that can be done to help here. I pray that I am spending my time here efficiently because I know these next 5 weeks will fly by. Please keep my fellows, myself and the children in your thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment