Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Big 'Ole Slice of Humble Pie

Coming into this trip, I was repeatedly told what a great person I was for going to Kenya and helping all those less fortunate than myself. I cannot speak for the other fellows but I imagine they encountered some similar salutations. I was getting praise (not deserved because I hadn't actually even done anything at that point...I was still "going") and now reflecting upon it, and put on a white horse. I was like the knight coming into save the poor helpless princess. Even when we were introduced to the students at OLG on our first day during mass, Fr. Chris introduced us as "Gifts from God". While I do think we will be able to help a bit while we are here, by no means do I feel as though these children and this organization are "blessed" to know me. Fortunately, I got a beautiful reality check soon after my entrance into Kenya. On our car ride down from Mt. Kenya there were many people gathering and farming very near to the road. We, in the car, could see them and they could see us. Some adults watched and some children waved. I loved waving back to the little kids. This again was encouraging the idea that me and the fellows were like some kind of celebrities here to preform or put on a show; MUCH more important than we are. As I was waving out the window to these Kenya children I got a waive back from a young boy, between 6 and 8 years old. His wave, however, was only with one finger.... (Hopefully I don't need to spell out which finger that was). He had a scowl on his face and stood and watched the van pass with his finger high in front of his face. For a split second I was taken aback. I didn't know how to react. That was the last thing this girl and her high horse was expecting. Then I just began to laugh. This boy was just the gift I needed! I quickly realized a very important thing about service that would apply to not only my trip in Kenya but much of the service I will do in my future; not everyone wants help. As an American, it is very difficult to shut off the part of your brain that believes that your way is best. I am very proud of my nationality and believe that as a nation we provide much service throughout the world to needy people everyday, but I also recognize that many people outside of our country are getting along just fine without us and our help. When serving it is very important for those you are giving to, to want what it is you are giving. If people are not receptive to your service, they will not benefit from your service and it may even worsen the situation or relationship you are working to help. Thank you and God Bless! to the little boy who gave me my very early wake up call! I hope that in learning that lesson I will be able to serve more effectively in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment