Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A New National Anthem

There are two boys at OLG that are from Sudan. On Saturday their birth certificates had to change to read "The Republic of Southern Sudan" as their home nation. It has been incredible to be this close to Southern Sudan for this momentous point in the countries history. The most beautiful part has been to see the joy and pride streaming from these two boys, "C" and "J". "C" and "J" have brought me up to speed on the issues in the Sudan that led to this necessary split. I knew some information about Darfur regarding Sudan but that was pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the subject. The boys have shared the stories of violence and war that they have experienced as a result of the struggles and conflict within the borders of the former Sudan. "C" had to stop his education multiple times because of the violence; it was simply too dangerous for him to leave home.

It has truly been a gift to witness these young men during this time. What a gift to be with two people as they celebrate the joy of independence from oppression and war. It will not be an easy road for Southern Sudan, these boys recognize that, but it is a start and it brings much hope. "C" and "J" do not have much access to news so they have been asking us about what we are reading online regarding the birth of their homeland. They do have a radio which they can get updates on but they are yearning for information.  I have been doing what I can to look things up and report back to them. Two days ago "C" asked me if I could look up his new national anthem. He wants to have it memorized for when he returns home to Southern Sudan during his December break from school. Katie and I looked up the lyrics that night and in my best penmanship I wrote down the words on a sheet of journaling paper. I included the country's motto: Justice, Liberty and Prosperity. The next morning after mass I handed both boys a copy of the tune. They beamed with appreciation.

I spoke to "C" later that day about what was to come for Southern Sudan and for his own future. I told "C" that based off the statistics I found online, he is in the top 25% of the most intelligent people in his country. He is 20 years old. 75% of all adults in Southern Sudan cannot read or write and 10% of children don't live past the age of 5. He knew these things. I asked if he felt any responsibility as part of that minority to go back to his country and help them progress. He responded, "Anything I can do for the betterment of my country, I will, God willing." We spoke of how the responsibility for the future success of his country now falls upon the shoulders of his generation. He smiled proudly and said, "I know."

My citizenship is something that I have taken for granted; something that I have never questioned. Witnessing these boys gain new citizenship this past week and viewing the celebrations of a country I am so currently close to has been an incredibly humbling experience. The US too was once a new nation like Southern Sudan. Though it there have a long road ahead of them, I am hoping and praying for the future success of the people of the world's newest free land.

No comments:

Post a Comment