Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom's are Privledges


On this birthday of independence for my nation, I reflect on my own life and freedoms in relation to where I am here in Kenya. I so take for granted my feeling of security in our great nation and it is not until I stepped outside its walls that I realized just how lucky I am to have those rights and freedoms. Though we often argue about corrupt politicians, nothing we have compares to the level of corruption in this country. You cannot trust the police here because they can often be bought off. The judicial system is also faulty. The central system of government here is faulty and corrupt and as a result many Kenyan citizens are often not taken seriously outside of their countries borders because they are taken as a reflection of their home land and its problems. Kenyans have a difficult time acquiring visas and green cards to leave the country and head to America or the UK. I on the other hand, coming from America, did not need to get my visa for Kenya until my arrival in the country. I am so fortunate to come from a country that is well respected and taken seriously in the world. It is so easy for me, in terms of documentation, to travel the world because I have the luxury of an American passport. That is something I will no longer take for granted! Tonight we will celebrate the 4th of July with the Dominicans. They have promised us a BBQ and fire. It will be a 4th of July unlike any other! As we celebrate tonight I will be sure to reflect upon my Mim’s latest words of wisdom are from an email I received from her this morning … “As I sit here, I hear the fireworks going off somewhere close and am thankful always that this noise is one of celebration and not of anger or war. We are so blessed in this wonderful land. I pray people of good will not lose sight of that!! and to support and defend Her!” Today, like every other, I am proud to be an American and to be able to use the privileges that come along with that to fulfill my responsibility of helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment